Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Wednesday Walk

 Silence is the great teacher, and to learn its lessons you must pay attention to it. There is no substitute for the creative inspiration, knowledge, and stability that come from knowing how to contact your core of inner silence. The great Sufi poet Rumi wrote, 'Only let the moving waters calm down, and the sun and moon will be reflected on the surface of your being'.

(Deepak Chopra)


I've been in a very contemplative mood lately and when I feel that way I tend to draw inward.  You would think that through a pandemic, isolation, lockdowns, that I might be craving the company of others, but the older I get, the more I prefer silence, most of the time.
Monday was my husband's birthday but it was not a very happy day since he had to attend a funeral.  This past Sunday (which is the first day of the work week here) was a holiday for the new year.  Many people were out and about, celebrating and enjoying the weather over the long weekend, but sadly, the day turned tragic when the 12-year old son of one of his friend's was fatally hit by a car.  He said the father was so distraught at the gravesite that he kept collapsing.

We don't know the details of what happened but it's usually speed or distraction that causes these types of accidents.
Every time I am out, I see so many people rushing, speeding, racing around other cars, and I wonder where they are all going.  Why is everyone always in such a hurry?

Don’t be afraid of taking the slow lane in life.
It brings more happiness.
(Jennifer West)
Walking helps me to think, work through feelings, clear my mind.  
And that allows me to get back on track and get my mojo back.

Hope you are all doing well.
Have a peaceful day.

11 comments:

Dee said...

I am so sorry for your friend's loss. The pain is unimaginable. My thoughts are with the family as they work through their grief.

I too am finding I prefer silence now. It was multiplied by what is going on in our country today.

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Tammy,
Only wish I could walk there with you; quietly though!!!
Yes, that is what I also prefer, pondering and listening to nature around you and become one with it.
How tragic such an accident of the 12-year old boy! The Father barely could cope with it, hope he will over time.
Love those palm tree photos and of course the happy kitties!
Hugs,
Mariette

Mary said...

My condolences regarding the young boy's very sad and untimely death - so terrible for the family and friends. People here seem to be driving so carelessly lately - life is really becoming a struggle, especially when away from the comfort of one's home. I no longer even want to go far from the house these days.

Lovely calming photos Tammy.
Sending you and your family best wishes for the New Year - stay safe and be well.
Hugs - Mary

Angie said...

Tammy - what a coincidence - I have been reading about silence. It is so important and so hard to find. I try to "listen" to the silence, and a couple of minutes later my mind has gone off in a million other directions!! Belated Happy Birthday to your husband. What a tragedy with the 12-year-old. We are always shocked by people who pass us at 10 - 15 mph faster - and we are going the speed limit - inevitably, we catch up with them a few minutes later. What are they hoping to achieve? I am a loner by nature, so silence and being alone is not a problem for me!

Teresa Kasner said...

I am so sorry to hear of your friends son passing at such a young age, I don't know how parents make it through funerals of their babies. I enjoyed seeing your sea and palm trees and you feeding the wild homeless kitties. You're an angel on earth.
((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Betsy said...

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friends son. I don't understand why people aren't more observant of others around them. I can't even imagine the grief the parents must feel.
I find I love being alone or just with Dennis. I was just telling him that I think a lot of people are going to have problems being with others or in public after all this is over, if it ever is over.
I wish your husband a belated happy birthday and I do hope it's a wonderful year for him despite the beginning.
Blessings,
Betsy

Lorrie said...

My sympathies to you and your family for the death of the 12-year-old boy. The parents' grief must be overwhelming.
I have always loved solitude and silence. I rarely listen to music while at home, and if I do, it's usually classical, without words. Earbuds are not something I use, ever (well, maybe on an airplane).
I wonder if this pandemic will help people realize that solitude and a quiet life are not bad things. Yes, we need people, but I find I need time alone to develop my creativity, and to really think!
Wishing you joy today.

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

Very sad news about your friend's son. cannot imagine how that would feel.

I too enjoy walking, though mine are considerably colder than yours I reckon!!
Have a great weekend,
Jillxx

Wanda said...

Tammy, what words of wisdom. It's true "silence is golden". A couple of the spiritual disciplines are silence and solitude. Most people run from that...I run to it many times. I'm so sorry about the death of this man's son. How tragic, but remembering God was not caught by surprise, He's still in Conrol. Praying comfort and he deals with this terrible loss.

handmade by amalia said...

Beautiful photos, dear Tammy, and wise words. I enjoyed seeing the beach. We are in lockdown (again!) and I so miss my walks on the beach.
Amalia
xo

Nowe Przygody z drutami said...

I associate these photos with Bari in Italy and California ,Sacramento, greetings

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...