Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Fiber Arts at Sadu House

A month ago I attended the first meeting of the new season of Kuwait Textile Art Association (KTAA).
Meetings take place at Bait Al Sadu (Sadu House), an old Kuwaiti home that has been turned into a cultural center and museum aimed at preserving and telling the history of traditional Bedouin weaving.
I've blogged about it many times before as it is one of my favorite places to visit in Kuwait.
No matter how many times I am there, I always find something unique and new and interesting.  While some aspects of the space remain the same, its function and outreach has evolved so much over the years and continues to grow and change.

It's been about 10 years since I was a member of KTAA so of course lots of new faces though some familiar ones, too.  There was quite a large number in attendance.  First we went around the room and introduced ourselves and then it was time for some of last year's members to show off their summer projects.
There's a huge quilting community; and, of course, knitting, crochet, embroidery/cross-stitch and even some macrame.

Meetings are every Wednesday alternating between sewing/quilting and fiber arts.  My friend, Aruna, and I have decided that we will go twice a month to the fiber arts meetings so last week was our first official meet-up with the group.

Tables were set up with the pattern and everyone brought their own yarn for the project which was a shell stitch square.
Our instructor for the day showed off the beautiful blanket she made using the pattern which was absolutely incredible..
I really love how using the cream color on the chain rows defines the shells and gives a nice outline.

Everyone set to work starting the pattern.
I'm not great at reading diagrams but this one was easy once I figured out all the symbols.

There was also another show-and-tell for anyone who had recently finished a project they wanted to share.
This was my start on the square while there.
Some people will make a baby blanket.  Some may just do a small square and leave it at that.
I've decided I will make a pillow cover.  (Note: the color in the photo above looks much more creamy because of the protective cover that is over the courtyard where we were sitting.)
This is my progress so far.

For now, I'll leave you with more scenes from Sadu House.
Have a wonderful Wednesday!

18 comments:

Maya Kuzman said...

Oh, what a beautiful place to be Tammy! I am in love with all those textiles! And what magnificent creations!!!

Betsy said...

Tammy, that looks like a wonderful group to be a part of. I enjoyed seeing all of the projects. That is a talented group of people! The pattern for your pillow is beautiful and the sample blanket is absolutely stunning. Thank you for taking us with you. I loved every photo in your post.
Blessings,
Betsy

Susan said...

Love all the photos and the colorful art works, Tammy. Glad you "hooked up" with that group! I still have the beautiful pink "potholder" and "coaster" in one of my doll houses. One is on the bed, one on the floor as a rug. Wonderful! Hope you have a good rest of the week. Susan

crafty cat corner said...

Hi Tammy
Thank you for your sensible advice, I really appreciate it. I think that with Tom being ill my thoughts are all over the place at the moment and you are right. In time I will get back to normal. Hugs
Briony
x

Beca said...

Sounds like such a fun group to join, full of creative women.
xx Beca

Linda P said...

What a beautiful building where KTAA meet and share! Your meetings in cafés must also be enjoyable and inspirational. I love all the colourful crafts and your latest crocheted cushion cover. The light must be good for embroidery and other crafts:)

kathyinozarks said...

Wow you find the neatest art groups to participate in. the shell pattern is really amazing!

Angie said...

Tammy - I remember some of your past posts about this place, and I am glad to see that you are going again, and on a regular basis. That means we will see many more wonderful projects! I am amazed at how different the color of yarn looks once you are out from under the protective cover - glad you showed us another picture with a more true shade. Enjoy the rest of your week!

Jodiebodie said...

Those blankets have given me a new appreciation of shell stitches. You have inspired me to put it in my crochet queue of things to try out. I do enjoy your blog posts about Sadu House. I'm eager to see how the reconnection with the group inspires your crafting.

Teresa Kasner said...

That sounds like a wonderful group to belong to. I am looking forward to seeing what you make with that nice shell pattern. You have so many supportive communities there! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Sam I Am...... said...

What a beautiful home and the talent is amazing! I love that new stitch and the projects that were shown were gorgeous. I liked the "grandma" doll....looks like me! LOL! The popsicles and ice cream treats are so cute. Your square is going to make a great pillow!

Mary said...

I'm blown away as always when you share such fabulous places and creative people - yourself included Tammy!
Thank you.

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Tammy,
The way you write to us makes it almost as if we were actually there!
One feels so drawn into the incredible experience of sharing together in the art of creating and for feeling relaxed and happy.
Some wonderful pieces are being shown there.
Also the dolls are darling.
Your square is coming along very nicely.
Yes, we have to understand the different stitches and if so, you can read patterns in every language!
Sending you big hugs,
Mariette

Lorrie said...

I always love the stories you tell of get togethers with other creative minds. Just wonderful!

Mereknits said...

I so miss getting together with people who create. I am thrilled you have the opportunity to get to know other wonderful women. Love your pillow so far Tammy. Wishing you a wonderful weekend.

Kit said...

What a great way to share art! Your square is pretty. My late Mother used to love to make pillow covers. Thanks for letting us tag along.😊 Kit

Quinn said...

I would love to walk right into these photographs! What a great place! Sadu House is on twitter, so I filtered for their media posts and scrolled through dozens of their photographs from events - I'll check again and maybe next time I'll see a picture of a familiar face :)

Yarni Gras! said...

beautiful work and gorgeous photos!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...