Sunday, September 20, 2009

Eid Mubarak

Ramadan ended yesterday and today is the beginning of Eid Al Fitr which lasts three days. Many people will have the whole week off just as the kids and I do. Eid al-Fitr is a time to give in charity to those in need, and celebrate with family and friends the completion of a month of blessings and joy.

We will visit friends tonite and I will be taking cookies for them. During the Eid, these cookies (mahmoul) are made and can be bought in all the bakeries -- they are usually filled with pistachios or dates and sometimes covered in powdered sugar.

This is a wooden cookie cutter that is used to make an imprint on the cookie dough before baking. It has a proper name, but my husband cannot even remember what it's called in Arabic.

I decided to make a cookie that is similar to what they make here, but is something that I know and love.

And here's the recipe:

So easy!


So yummy!

3 comments:

GwendolynKay said...

It all looks yummo! Dates sound good as a filling. Are these cookies on my diet?! I will make the wedding cookies for my next girlfriend get together, which of course I will post about. love ya cuz'!!

Lemondrops Simple Stuff said...

I make these too, but mine are called Russain Tea Cakes. A very mulit cultural cookie :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!! The spoon to make the imprint on the mamool is COOL! I have never seen those before. Is that yours?? Very nice. As for the cookies, I can tell that you took the recipe picture out of the cookbook that I made for all the girls!! YEA!! It made me smile to see my handiwork at work!! HA!

Renee

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...