Sunday, April 2, 2023

All the Blues

 Pay attention; see with the eyes of love.
(Magdala Marie Gilbert) 
I found this dead dragonfly as I crossed a pedestrian bridge the other day. Carried it to a group of flowers on the other side so that nature could do it’s thing rather than it blowing around on the concrete.
Had a beautiful walk along the corniche this morning.And instantly had someone twirling around my feet when I stopped to take my first photo.
This area by the sea has a colony of cats, many that have been TNR'd -- and unfortunately, when selfish, irresponsible people see an area where cats are being fed, they dump more and more house cats. 
Sadly, my walking meditation ended in a rather distressing way as I watched a guy run over a black cat.  Realizing what he'd done, he hesitated only a split second before driving off. He was a father whom I’d seen walking with his young daughter, but while I checked around my car for stray kitties (there was a black and white one sleeping under my car) he just didn’t consider his surroundings.  I couldn’t leave the poor thing in the middle of the street so moved it to a sandy spot along the fence line.
Today there is a memorial for my cousin who died in her sleep on March 22nd after a brief illness. She was 63 years old.  She was an animal lover who had taken in many stray cats and dogs over the years. She also crocheted and, in fact, it was her sister who taught me to crochet nearly 40 years ago. In lieu of flowers, the family has asked that donations be made to an animal shelter so I will be doing that in remembrance of her.
Sunday blessings.

10 comments:

Terra said...

How sad about your cousin, 63 seems young to me, and sad about the cat that was run over. You are sharing beautiful photos of scenes on your walks, I like the walkway with the shadows making patterns. You have an eye for beauty, I do too.

Dee said...

I am so happy that you have such a good heart for the animals (even the tiny winged ones). That was such a kind thing to do for the kitty AND for the dragonfly.

I am sorry for your loss. May crochet always bring you sweet memories of learning from your cousin.

Delighted Hands said...

So much beauty, and yet the reality of sin is so real! I struggle with seeing cats that aren’t cared for, too! You do your part where you are; that’s all any of us can do!

Lorrie said...

I very much enjoyed seeing all these beautiful blues, Tammy, and as I mentioned on IG, I am sorry to read of the loss of your cousin. And how sad to see a cat run over, too. I hope your week is a good one.

Betsy said...

Your post started out so beautifully with the flowers and sunshine and kitties. I'm so sorry for that poor cat who was hit by a car. It had to be so scared. How can people be so irresponsible to dump them where they aren't safe? It's heartbreaking.
I'm also sorry to read about your cousin. That is so sad. She was my age. I wish I could give you a big hug my friend.
Blessings and love,
Betsy

Rostrose said...

Dear Tammy,
oh yes, you could actually get the blues - for example with everything you describe in relation to the cats... Humans are a species that I will probably never fully understand... although there are such nice specimens...
And I am so sorry that your cousin passed away so relatively young. She wasn't much older than I am (I'll be 62 this year and hope there will be about 30 years more...). Very sad! It is a nice gesture that animals are being helped on her behalf.

You offered the dragonfly a worthy burial place. And the architecture you show today, including the pretty shadows, is stunning. Let's concentrate on the beautiful things in life as much as possible....
All the best from Austria and a good first week of April!
Hugs, Traude 😘
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2023/04/ruckschau-auf-den-marz-2023.html

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Tammy,
Oh, those sweet and also DESPERATE kitties sure will twirl around your feet as they know you are loving and caring.
Can't believe that there are others that just dump their house cats there and leave...
We celebrated our kittie's (4 of the 5 siblings born at our home) 16th birthday on March 30. They ARE family members and we have to guard them and protect them till they die.
What a cruelty for running over any cat... and then taking off!
Sorry for your very young cousin's death.
Big hugs and I wish I could walk with you—can do that now again as my OT and PT is helping me.
Mariette

My Creative Life said...

I'm so glad that people like you care so much. Thank you. It's such a shame about homeless cats and dogs... too many homeless people in the Uk too. take care Cathy x

Angie said...

Tammy - I am so sorry to hear about your cousin.

Feral cats are not much of an issue in Montana - there are barn cats that perform an important function and are well-cared for by farmers. People don't seem to let other cats "go" because they know how harsh the conditions are. Of course, I do have a neighbor who lets her cats out during the day - and one never came back ... I am guessing a bigger predator got it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...