Sunday, January 21, 2018

Traditional Textile Exhibition

Both of my boys were here for their winter breaks.  My eldest left two weeks ago and the youngest just left last night.  I'm always in constant worry mode until they reach back to their destinations safe and sound.
It's always difficult when they leave, but rather than wallow in my self-pity, I pushed myself out the door this morning to attend the last day of the Traditional Asian Textiles Exhibition held at Sadu House.
The collection belongs to Professor Jasleen Dhamija who is a pioneer in the research and revival of Indian textile traditions.  She is an author and editor who has traveled extensively in her career and lectured all over the world.  She has lived in many countries; became an advisor to UNESCO on their excellence in textiles projects; and continues to be an advisor to the Crafts Council of India which she helped set up in 1964.  (Biographical information has been taken from the free booklet we received that was prepared by the National Council for Culture, Art and Letters.)
Before I knew there was a booklet, I was taking pictures of the descriptive markers found near each piece so that I could later recall what I had seen.  Hopefully you are able to read them well enough to have an idea of how and where they were made.
The pictures, of course, don't do justice to seeing each piece up close.  I definitely walked away feeling very inspired (much needed since I've not been feeling very crafty lately).

Hope all is well where you are.

Sunday blessings,

7 comments:

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

These are some incredibly gorgeous pieces with such intricate work. Your pics with descriptions are lovely.

Our grandson left last Sunday for next semester in college and I miss him terribly. His college is within driving distance and we have visit planned each month until he is home on next break. All the best to your boys :)

Createology said...

I am so glad you pushed yourself out the door to attend and share these amazing textiles with us. I understand your angst concerning your kids arriving safely. <3

Teresa Kasner said...

What a neat exhibit. I love historic handmade clothing.. I saw a whole exhibit of North American Native leather dresses all covered with beadwork at the National Museum of the American Indian in Washington DC and it was sooooo amazing! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Angie said...

Tammy - I know how hard it is to say goodbye to the kids - it must be even tougher for you given the distance! Good for you to pull yourself up by your 'boot' straps and get out of the house ... I found myself attracted to the clothing most of all. The dress on the table in the 6th picture; the Kurtis in the 7th picture and the Cholis in the 13th picture. I could see myself wearing one of the Cholis out for dinner in the summer. I hope you get your crafty mo-jo back soon!

kathyinozarks said...

I really enjoyed this thank you for sharing with us

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

What a wonderful collection! All those handspun and handwoven fabrics are amazing. It must have taken a gazillion of hours to make each piece. The colors and patterns are beautiful. Thank you for sharing, Tammy!
I'm sorry that your boys had to leave. Hopefully you'll have a chance to seem them again soon.
xo Julia

Linda said...

Beautiful pieces. Good for you on getting out. I tend to wallow. ;)

Kindest regards,
Linda

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...