Thursday, March 4, 2010

Birthday Continued

Hello again! Wow! Wednesday was a whirlwind. The whole afternoon and evening seemed to get away from me. Now it is Thursday. We had an orange sandstorm come through about 9 am this morning and now it is just dusty and dreary outside. This is what it looked like about 5 pm this evening. Yes, that is the sun -- although it might look like the moon. There's so much dust, the sun's rays can't even get through. Yuck!

I will close my eyes and transport myself back to Sri Lanka and the beauty of the Botanical Gardens.


Where I can sit and contemplate.


Or walk through a row of trees that have been there more than 150 years.


Where flowers are brilliant and beautiful.


And where branches are so heavy they have to be held up with wooden poles.
*******
On this day, once we had roamed the botanical garden for quite some time, we headed over to a traditional wood factory. It was so very interesting to learn about the different woods they use for carving.


This is the only one that is native to Sri Lanka.

We were even shown how the sawdust from one type of wood is first mixed with water to create a pink color and then by just adding different elements, like lime juice, metal, powder -- the color changes. They are able to make 7 different natural colors from the shavings of this one type of tree. Amazing!

Everything is carved by hand using traditional methods ....
usually from one block of wood.
The biggest surprise was when my friends from school showed up right after us. I had tried to see them at their hotel the night before but they weren't in. Lo' and behold, we wound up in the same place at the same time so of course it was a photo opportunity. They are the sweetest girls.

We so enjoyed looking around the premises of the wood factory. So much to choose from.

And you know we did not go away empty-handed.


But more about that tomorrow. I can't believe this is another post about my birthday, so many pictures, and we haven't even gotten to lunch yet, or the fact that we went to a gemstone factory where Sam bought me my birthday presents, or the cultural dance we saw in the evening. What a day it was! Sending many good wishes your way for a most wonderful day. Blessings, Tammy

17 comments:

Linda said...

Wow, only once have I seen a storm similar to your sand storm and it was a couple of summers ago here, after a long time without rain, a huge wall of dust moved from across the fields and we could see it approaching our town from the west. It was incredible - the winds were blowing in around 60 mph and everything was darkened for a time.

I love the photos of your trip - you had such a fascinating, wonderful time. :)

Faded Plains said...

Your Sri Lanka photos are gorgeous...it's amazing what they can make with wood...can't wait to see what you brought home.

Judi said...

Oh, I can't wait for the gemstone factory!!! Does the sand just stay in the air? Is that why is looks so dark?

DeeDee said...

I love the new blog look, and how can you live int hat dust ,,UGH! Sri Lanka I would have never thought it so beautiful there...I want to go with you next time k....

Cannot wait to see the Gem factory and the gift....

have a good day my freind

Anonymous said...

WOW...I have never seen a sand storm but we have snow white-outs that obliterate the sky!!
Sri-Lanka sounds like a heavenly place!! So glad you got to enjoy it......
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

Anonymous said...

Oy, that sand must get into everything. I guess that's what Arizona monsoons are like. Everyone has to pull off the road 'til they can see again.
The 130 yr old palms are so beautiful - and I do love bougainvilla.
Happy Day~

Bunnym said...

looking forward to lunch Tammy..lol

tootles,
bunny

ps. don't know about your sidebar. Try taking it off and putting it back on...might do the trick ~

Susan said...

Hi Tammy...The wood factory looked extremely interesting. Will enjoy seeing what you bought! Take care. So glad you are still celebrating your birthday! You GO girl! Sincerely, Susan from writingstraightfromtheheart.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

A Plus... Awesome new look, Love the colors and the new header, of course blue and brown are one of my favorite color combos... very fun! Thanks again for stoping by to join in on the fun give away! It would be awesome if you would post a little blurb. Thanks and Many Blessing, Deborah

Jane said...

The wood factory looked like a really interesting place to visit. I can't wait to see what you bought!
Jane

Hearts Turned said...

What a beautiful trip you had, Tammy! Love all the gorgeous photos from Sri Lanka--such a magical sounding place that I'll probably never see--so thank-you for sharing a part of it with me! Looking forward to seeing your gifts and purchases tomorrow!

Hope your day is wonderful!

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Tammy,

So glad that you are having a beautiful birthday.
Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos.
Lucky lucky, getting your birthday present from the gemstone factory.

Enjoy your weekend & the rest of your birthday
hugs
Carolyn

Melissa said...

Love the look of your new page. The songs matched perfectly as I was reading through your birhday page. You really made use of your day there and just like a good book, cant wait to see the pictures and story about the rest of your day. How exciting that you got to see your friends. Such a small world isn't it.

Elaine said...

I've enjoyed viewing the photos Tammt. It looks like a beautiful country and you saw so many interesting things.
Hope you are having a good weekend
Love Aunt Elaine

Love the music

Anonymous said...

I never would have guessed what an interesting place Sri Lanka would be. Really, I was not aware that they worked so much with wood and carvings. It must have been fascinating for sure. The gardens look so tranquil and relaxing. I know you enjoyed walking through there. Nice to be surrounded by so much color and greenery as compared with what you see in Kuwait.
I love the fact that you were able to run into people that you knew there. It really is a small world!!
SO nice to know you had such a nice trip!!

Love ya,
Renee

GwendolynKay said...

How was it that your friends from school happened to be there at the same time? You all look very happy. The tree is interesting. Over here if the branches were on the ground they would chop them down. Today I went through my emails that went way back... weeks... I was behind. and now I am trying to catch up with fellow bloggers.
Love to you!
Gwen
p.s. Remember I told you when you come this year.. you would not recognize me? I had a dream last night that you were here and I had not changed a bit and I was freaking out that you saw me unchanged. Must be a guilty conscience..... I had pizza last night. :)

Rose said...

My goodness, I can't get over the image of the sandstorm. I don't blame you for wanting to be back in Sri Lanka, the place looks amazing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...