Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Travel Tuesday: More from Lebanon

In July I traveled with my friend, Melissa, to Lebanon to visit our friend, Mona.  We  met each other about 17 years ago when we were working together at the same school and have remained close friends ever since.
I posted previously here and here about our first day.
On day two I was down and out with a stomach bug.
So on day three we packed in as much as we could, starting with Jeita Grotto which is a 5 mile limestone cave system.
We took a cable car to the upper cave.
 And a train back down to the lower cave.
No photos were allowed inside the caverns, so I can't show you all the amazing stalactites and stalagmites that were formed there, but there is a website gallery with photos that you can see here.
Though inhabited in prehistoric times, the lower cavern was not discovered again until 1936 by American Missionary, Rev. William Thomson.
This statue, weighing in at 65 tons and at a height of about 22 feet, is called "Guardian of Time" and is found at the entrance of the lower grotto.
I really loved this hillside with all the tiny houses.
Across from the lower cave entrance there is a garden with mosaics and statues.
Our next destination for the day was to Jbeil, also known as Byblos, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is the oldest continuously inhabited city in the world.
But I'll save that for another post.
Until next time,

14 comments:

Terra said...

That cave system sounds fun, and the gondola and train rides to and from. The favorite part of my visit to Lebanon years ago was to see Baalbek.

Betsy said...

That looks like such a wonderful trip Tammy, although I’m sorry you were sick for the one day. I love caves. We’ve been in several in South Dakota and I find them fascinating. I’m looking forward to the next post too. You take me to such interesting places that I will probably never visit myself. Blessings always, Betsy

Tanza Erlambang - Every Day Issues said...

views are beautiful... lovely photo of "guardian of time"

have a great day

Derya said...

Hi Tammy, Wonderful trip, photos are scrumptious
I love discovering new places. :)

Linda said...

Nice to see you in some photos! :) Looks like a great trip.

Mary said...

Just lovely - and so are you Tammy!
Nice when friendships last so long and you can enjoy special times and travel together.
Hugs - Mary

Gracie Saylor said...

So glad you were able to enjoy traveling with friends and to such an interesting location! As a child I visited Tom Sawyer's cave in Hannibal, MO, and still about 60 years later have vivid memories of the experience. Thanks for taking the time to post with links, Tammy. I also enjoyed your last two posts just now. The realtor gave me keys to my new/old condo on Monday and I have to be totally moved out of this house by the 20th, so lots is going on :) xx

Teresa Kasner said...

I'm happy for you that you have two such wonderful long-time friends and that you make sure you see them often. It looks like a wonderful place you visited! You really are gorgeous. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Beca said...

I think it's wonderful that all of you have remained good friends. Looks like a wonderful trip. We are fortunate enough to live close to Carlsbad Caverns here in NM. We've been several times and it's always impressive.
xx Beca

Angie said...

Tammy - looks like a fascinating cave system to visit. I am impressed that they had two forms of transportation … when I have visited caves in the past, we always got there on foot!

Sam I Am...... said...

The environment there must agree with you because you never age! Those caverns are gorgeous but I went to Mammouth Cave in KY once and that was enough for me! It took 3 forest rangers to get me up a 300 ft. open staircase above a river you couldn't see 600 feet below....never again but I love to see the pictures! LOL!
I can't wait to see the oldest continually inhabited city!

Jodiebodie said...

Thank you for sharing beautiful scenes from your travels.
I am so sorry you lost time due to illness.
Despite that you look very happy - 'old friends are gold friends'!

Susan said...

I like the hillside with the little houses, too, Tammy. Looks like it was a fascinating trip. You are so lucky you travel and learn about new places. Susan

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Tammy,
So sorry for you having felt sick on your 2nd day.
But it looks like you made up on that 3rd day with worthwhile visits.
That humongous statue is impressive and also the little houses.
LOVE your final photo - sweet friend!
Hugs,
Mariette

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...