Thursday, February 4, 2010

Thankful Thursday on Day Four

Rhondi at Rose Colored Glasses hosts Thankful Thursday each week.

Today I am thankful for shelter as we've had lots of wind and dust and I'm so glad to be indoors safe and sound.

(A cottage like this is definitely on my wish list.)

"Ah! There is nothing like staying at home, for real comfort." ~ Jane Austen

I am also thankful for all of you who leave me such wonderful comments. Dear Jodie at Everything Vintage has already given me the sweetest birthday gifts: wishes for happiness, satisfaction and comfort. Jodie, your thoughtfulness each day has meant so much to me.
I have been an Oprah viewer for quite some time now and many years ago, she introduced the world to Mattie J.T. Stepanek. If you know his story, you realize how special he was at such a young age. He began writing poetry at the age of three and dedicated his short life to peace and "celebrating the gifts of life every day.

On page 23, he shared this poem:

On Being Thankful

Dear God,
I was going to thank You tonight
For a beautiful sunrise,
That was pink behind the fog down the hill,
And for a wonderful rainbow,
That I ran under pointing to
All my favorite colors,
And for such a great sunset,
That sparkled orange across the water.
I was going to thank You tonight
For all of these special gifts,
Except that none of them happened.
But do You know what?
I still love you, God,
And I have lots of other things
That I can thank You for tonight,
Even if you didn't give those
Very special gifts to me today.
It's okay, God,
Because I'll look for them all again,
When my tomorrow comes.
Amen.

We truly have so much to be thankful for each and every day. Peace & blessings, Tammy

17 comments:

Martha's Favorites said...

Tammy: Thanks for sharing that poem. You are so right, we have so much to be thankful for. I want to thank you for your prayers. I appreciate them more than you can every know. Blessings my friend. Martha

Rhondi said...

Hi Tammy
Thanks for sharing that wonderful poem. I remember that litle boy and he was so precious. We have so much to be thankful for don't we?
Hugs, Rhondi

Lori said...

That poem hit home for me! I often times take things for granted and this poem made me realize that I need to thank God each night for what I have and what I should be grateful for, even if my day was bad. Thanks so much for sharing and opening up my eyes.

crochet lady said...

Blessings Tammy and Happy Birthday! Thanks for sharing that touching thankful poem by that young poet.

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Hey there Tammy, it's me again!!!

Happy Birthday Month, Day 4!!! (Or at least it's still February 4th here...you are almost a whole day ahead of me over there in Kuwait!!!! ;)

Oh that little darling was something special and has touched so many lives. Unbelievable at such a young age, he was so much wiser than us.

My Birthday wish for you today is Inspiration. May we all inspire and be inspired!!!

:)
everything vintage

ps...
just to let YOU know, I'm thankful to have met you!

June said...

Hi Tammy,
I want to thank you for this sweet poem from one of the sweetest spirits that ever graced this earth. He was an incredible little boy. What a blessing he was to all of us.
I love your little dream bungalow.
hugs

Free Art Printables said...

Tammy, thank you so much for your kind word son my blog! I am definitely thankful for good health!

glor said...

How profound this poem, leaves me almost speechless. I thank you for The Over The Top! Just finished my post. God bless.

glor said...

ps ... the pattern for the heart is there too! Enjoy.

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Tammy,

Thank you for sharing the beautiful poem.
We really do have so much to be thankful for.
Blessings to you dear friend and have a lovely weekend

Hugs
Carolyn

Melissa said...

Wanted to go walking by the seaside but decided against it because of the dust. I can see you in a little cottage house like the one you showed, but it would definately have to be out in the country. What a lovely and inspiring poem from someone so young. How special it is to know that he appreciated things that he never got to experience. Very wise for such a young age. Thank you for sharing that. I like the birthday wishes that people have been sending so I'll start to until you get the real tangible stuff. Today after talking to you, I wish you organization...LOL! Wishing you a peaceful and organized weekend!!

Natasha Burns said...

What a beautiful poem and beautiful sentiments Tammy :)
Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your input on the dress!

Judi said...

Mattie certainly was wise well beyond his years and when he got to met Jimmy Carter I broke down in tears with happiness that he got to meet his idol! Thanks for sharing his words, words I needed to hear :) Judi

Sheila Rumney said...

Thank you for sharing his words. So powerful and so true! Enjoying your new blog look.

GwendolynKay said...

Beautiful post Tammy!

Unknown said...

What a sweet, thoughtful, charming and delish posting. I run hot and cold on Oprah, probably because we hear more about her here outside of Chicago. Oprah overload.

Off to check out the links above....

But, first.

Just posted a fun little project for all those jars you have and goodies to stash.

Also, if you look at my sidebar in the IPOD you can see the PINK grammy performance. It was the best of the whole show. Hands down better than Beyonce...

Anonymous said...

Let be one to say that if you get a cottage like that in the US (or anywhere else for that matter) make sure it has an extra room so I can come visit often.
I remember when you let me have your Heartsongs book to read. I then remembering crying my way through every page. What a wonderful thing to put on your blog. It is hard not to be inspired when you read his poems. Thanks for the inspriation today!!

Love,
Renee

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...