Sunday, January 5, 2020

Sunflower Love

In early November, I planted sunflower seeds that I collected from sunflowers I grew last year.  They are a dwarf variety that I bought at a farmer's market in Sri Lanka several years ago.
On November 11th there were sprouts; November 30th the leaves had formed; and by December 27th, the first bud was about to burst forth.
I never tire of the process.
It's really rather magical.
Pollinators began to visit right away.
You can see all the lovely pollen grains that have fallen.
Now there's about 5 flowers and even a funny little bud that formed on the same stalk as the first bloom and is just starting to open.
Advice from a sunflower:
Rise, shine and hold your head high.
Spreads seeds of happiness.
And keep on the sunny side.

Sunday blessings,

9 comments:

Wanda said...

Hi Tammy ~ after months away...I am back to visiting my dear blog friends. You can see from my new post (from my new computer) how we spent 2019. Your photos and sunflowers are absolutely stunning. My new computer has a large screen and so the flower are just popping out into my room. HaHa

Lyn said...

I just love sun flowers they always make me smile! It is grey and drizzly here in the UK so it was lovely to see your little bit of sunshine xx

kathyinozarks said...

Hi Tammy awesome capture of the sunflower-I love them too-I need to plant me some this spring at our new lake house

Teresa Kasner said...

Wow.. how fabulous for you to grow new sunflowers from seeds you saved! Bravo and what wonderful photos you took! So many bees and birds will benefit from your efforts. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Betsy said...

Oh, thank you for taking the photos of the process and sharing them with us. I agree, it is magical and beautiful and you even caught a bee working away! Thank you.
Blessings,
Betsy

Jodiebodie said...

So pretty! I love your cross stitch. How long does it take you to make one cross stitch project of that size?
I am fascinated by the spiral pattern of the seeds in the centre of sunflowers. I would love to try and replicate that in crochet one day. Maths! :-)

Linda said...

Well you know that I love sunflowers - I'm kind of the sunflower queen being that I grew several hundred last year for Sarah & Dakota's wedding. This year, I plan to cut back on them and go back to more vegetables. Yours looks beautiful! Hard for me to imagine a place where sunflowers are blooming now in January since obviously all is pretty much dormant here during the winter months.

Linda

Angie said...

Tammy - magical, indeed!

Quinn said...

Aren't sunflowers wonderful?! I recently found the sunflower seeds I bought to plant in last year's garden...the packet had fallen behind Piper's chair months ago. Oh well, I'll plant them in this year's garden and hope for the best :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...