Wednesday, June 24, 2015

The Dance

Everything in the universe has a rhythm; everything dances.
(Maya Angelou)

Last week while out running an errand, I was drawn to a group of pigeons.  Their habits are quite fascinating to watch.  To the one side, it looked like a female had died and a male was circling her in confusion; as if he was willing her to get up.  (Of course, that's just my interpretation of what I saw.)  Pigeons and doves do form very strong mating bonds so I imagine the loss of a mate would be significant.
 To the other side, a mating dance was taking place.



 It's so funny to watch the male twirl around, fan his feathers and puff out his chest hoping to attract the female who usually seems to be completely oblivious to his attentions.
But he doesn't give up.  He just keeps following her around, doing his dance.

While visiting with a friend on Sunday who just lost her father to liver cancer, I was reminded of the ebb and flow of life.  
She expressed how wonderfully rich and sweet and full life can be, but then .,..a moment comes along that stops you in your tracks, rips your heart out, and you wonder when you will be happy again.

Happiness, that grand mistress of the ceremonies in the dance of life, impels us through all its mazes and meanderings, but leads none of us by the same route.
(Charles Caleb Colton)

Joy and sorrow; love and loss.
The only way to survive is to honor the feelings and embrace the changes.
It's all a part of the dance.

Have a blessed day,

11 comments:

crafty cat corner said...

I always tend to think of life as a hurdle race. As soon as you've cleared on hurdle there's another in front of you. It's taken me a long time to realise that life is always going to throw things at you that you don't like until the end and your post today explains that so well.

Briony
xx

Linda said...

Simply beautiful, Tammy.
I'm really loving your posts since you "retired" - I always loved your posts, but you are even more reflective since you have time to ponder more. This is what I long for as well; I can only imagine where my writing might take me if only I had the time to ponder more.

Thanks for sharing!

Debby said...

What a great comparison. So sorry for your friend's loss.

Mereknits said...

Beautiful post Tammy. I have trying to work on a dear friend of ours who is suffering horribly from cancer. I stop by on my way home from work and try to do some energy work on him to help his pain.
Cancer is horrible. Best wished to your friend on her loss.
Meredith

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Tammy,
Yes, great photos and some very interesting and deep thought pondering about the ebb and flow of life...
Hugs,
Mariette

Teresa Kasner said...

How neat that you watched the pigeons behavior with each other -- I hope the boy pigeon made a new girlfriend that day. I also think you're enjoying yourself a lot now that you get more time to yourself. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Createology said...

Beautiful post Tammy Dear. Stopping to enjoy the many moments in our day is a gift we give ourselves. Healing Energy to your friend. The circle of life...

Serena Lewis said...

As you know, my own father passed away in April and I'm still coming to terms with it even though we knew his time was coming after a two year battle with illness and stroke. I do try to focus on the happy times and savour the blessed moments in the present.

I love watching birds...they are calming to me. xx

Diane said...

Nice post, Tammy. Very thoughtful. I always enjoy watching the birds, too. The wild turkeys around here just make me laugh sometimes. Diane

Yarni Gras! said...

what a good post....so insightful

Sam I Am...... said...

I love what you said in your last sentence...so true! You are wise beyond your years. You could write your own book of inspiration.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...