Thursday, June 11, 2015

Scoping Out the Garden

Yarnbombing at The Secret Garden is still a work-in-progress.
One thing we have agreed upon is that it is just way too hot to install anything large at this point.  So the big tree is on hold until the Fall.
I went last week to measure some of the smaller trees, but forgot to write down the numbers.  For some reason, I thought I would retain that information in my head.  What was I thinking?  Yesterday I went back again but this time I forgot my measuring tape.
So I took my little yarn strip around and was trying to figure out measurements that way.  At a nearby picnic table three Indian guys having their lunch were watching me and even offered to get some rope to tie my yarn strips to the tree.  They didn't speak English so I showed them my darning needle already threaded with yarn for sewing ends together.  Unfortunately, this strip was 3 squares too short.  The rough bark held it on nicely for a photo op, but there was so no sewing yesterday.
 I did have a pleasant walk around the garden, and even though all the plants have died away, I always find something interesting and colorful.



My idea is to yarnbomb a few small trees and some of the branches just to see how it will hold up.
For my next trip to the garden, I will definitely be armed with everything I need to measure and record so that the actual yarnbombing can commence.
Have a great day!

10 comments:

Linda said...

I think this is all wonderful, but I would worry about people taking things if we tried anything like that here in our town. I just know that anything I'd leave out around a tree like that would be gone in a matter of days. One reason I'm happy for a tall privacy fence around our backyard but even that didn't keep someone from throwing a rock through a screen in our window (aiming for our window) from the bike/walk path some months ago which I was really angry about at the time. My aim is to grow the greenery along our back fence so that it's at least 15 feet high blocking out the people and giving us more privacy. : )

To think we live in a small rural town, but it has the added complexity of being filled with a variety of very urban people who come from rough areas of the state. In the mix, there are really nice people too. Anyways - I would just be hesitant of ever making a place like that because I know it would be wrecked here. I hope you have good luck there.

Linda

Betsy said...

I'm so impressed. Even though it is so hot you're still working on your yarn bombing project. I like how everyone is welcome to help with the garden and composting. Enjoy your days of sunshine Tammy.
Blessings,
Betsy

September Violets said...

I like your thinking of searching out the bright signs in the Secret Garden. I was eyeing the weathered-looking pallets and wondering what you could make with those old boards ... a rustic narrow table? It sure looks hot and dry in these photos. The big tree looks like a great candidate for the yarn bombing ... can't wait to see the results!
Wendy

Wanda said...

I just love what you are doing. And so enjoy the pictures so we can see the process.

Teresa Kasner said...

That is going to be so cool when you install it! I can't wait to see your project up for all to see. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Taci simmons said...

That sounds like a fun project.!,,

Gracie Saylor said...

While I was traveling around, I missed so much of your news, Tammy, and have just scrolled back to get caught up! I am so happy for you that you are able to quit the job that had become unsatisfactory for you! I hope that you are able to find creative pursuits that bring you and those around you much joy. The yarn bombing in the secret garden seems a delightful way to celebrate your new freedom :)

I was in 120 degree weather one day in Arizona fifty years ago and can clearly remember how oppressive the heat was!!! That you and those around you are able to survive in such extreme weather is miraculous to me!!! Blessings to you and yours as you find good things to celebrate in your very challenging circumstances. xx

mamasmercantile said...

Exciting times, looking forward to seeing it done.

Mereknits said...

You are amazing doing all of that when it is like one hundred million degrees outside. No wonder you forgot things as your brain was probably fried from the heat. It is such a great project, I can't wait to see it all finished.
Meredith

Amy at love made my home said...

You are going to be very busy with this project I can see!!! Can't wait for it to be finished and to see it all! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...