Sunday, February 17, 2019

Tree of Life Pendant Workshop and Today's Walk

Last month I met a very creative and talented lady who makes tree of life decorative pendants and bonsai trees using gemstones.
I purchased a couple as gifts and kept the amethyst pendant for myself since that's my birthstone.

Last night I was very happy to have the opportunity to attend a workshop with her so I could make my very own tree of life necklace.
There were 6 of us in attendance.  We started by shaping a circle with thick wire and then used thinner wire to create the roots.  After a discussion of gemstones and their properties, we picked which ones we wanted to work with.
 My friend, Aruna, used citrine, peridot and moonstone for her pendant.
Finished pieces by the other participants.
I chose moonstone.
The Destiny Maker
Divinity * Balance * Tenderness
Promotes peace, harmony and balance and reminds us to go with the flow.

The workshop was supposed to be for 3 hours but we wound up being there nearly 4.  We did take a coffee break before beading started (which was definitely the part that was the most time consuming) and, of course, some people were faster than others.
I'm quite pleased with my tree of life pendant.  It's always nice to learn something new.  The process has sparked some creative thoughts of my own along these same lines.
As we left the workshop, the moon was there to guide us home.
I do have a real fascination with the moon.

The moon is a loyal companion.
It never leaves. It’s always there, watching, steadfast, knowing us in our light and dark moments, changing forever just as we do. Every day it’s a different version of itself. Sometimes weak and wan, sometimes strong and full of light. The moon understands what it means to be human.
Uncertain. Alone. Cratered by imperfections.

Tahereh Mafi, Shatter Me

I'll leave you with images from my seaside walk today with my very good friend, Melissa.
 
Have a soulful Sunday,

19 comments:

kathyinozarks said...

Good morning, lovely photos
I really enjoyed your workshop-how fun and I loved the silver and gold wire better than the black ones but they are all so pretty with the different gemstones-what a fun workshop!
Have an awesome new week Kathy

Mary said...

I really think your pendant - and the others - are truly lovely. How fun to attend such a great workshop and to learn something new.
I have a feeling you may design something similar using yarn and your ever clever crochet hook Tammy!

Great photos of you and Melissa at the seaside - looked like a pretty day around the neighborhood.

More in an email later.
Mary x

Sam I Am...... said...

I'm not much of a jewelry person but that is lovely and to think you made one! You are much more creative than me. I'm the practical craftswoman...if it doesn't have a use...I don't make it...lol! But I can appreciate beauty when I see it! Loved the photos from your walk and I too have an affinity for the moon. Have a great week!

Betsy said...

Tammy, your pendant is beautiful and so are the others you shared. It sounds like a wonderful class. I also enjoyed your photos of your walk home. It’s snowing AGAIN this morning. I can’t remember what warmth and summer even look like. :-) Ha!
Blessings,
Betsy

linda said...

How lovely I love it, I would love take a class like that and make something so beautiful and what a great way to end the day. xx

Kit said...

Oh they are so pretty! I like how they all came out. I too am in love with the moon. No wonder we are kindred spirits. :) The moon and I have a close relationship ever since it was by my side all nite after my cancer surgery. I shall keep a copy of the quote you posted. :) Kit

Michelle said...

Those pendants are just gorgeous!

Lorrie said...

Your pendant is very pretty, Tammy, as is your friend's. What a lovely time you must have all had together - laughing, crafting, chatting.

Derya said...

Hello Tammy, your tree of life necklaces are beautiful, very different and beautiful. I love the moon stone and the feeling is balanced. Your beach photos are so beautiful, you miss me writing. Have a nice new week. :)

Maya Kuzman said...

what agreat workshop Tammy!! Your pendant is beautiful and I wish I could join you at the workshop. Must have been really inspiring - I have always admired these trees of life, but never got deeper into the process of making one :)

Teresa Kasner said...

What a wonderful project you made! As a lifelong jewelry crafter I loved seeing the process you used and how beautifully yours turned out.. I'd love to see a photo of you wearing it to get an idea of the size of it. I wonder what new ideas this has inspired in you. Enjoy your week, my friend. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Angie said...

Tammy - this workshop was perfect for you - and the choice of moonstone so fitting. The result is stunning and you should be proud of it. The mosaic of your beach walk is so sunny and bright - glad all seems to be well with you these days. Which reminds that I forgot to comment on your hubby's CT scan in the last post - I won't pry, but I am praying that it came out OK. Enjoy the rest of your week!

Jodiebodie said...

I have never seen Tree of Life pendants like that before. Beautiful. The gemstones of significance make them even more special. I don't have the manual dexterity for beading. Beads are just a little too fine for my fingers!

It looks like you have had a peaceful time with crafting and coastal walks and companionship.
May the peace follow you through the rest of your week.

Mrs. Micawber said...

How fun! We teach these at the bead shop where I work, and they always come out nice. Yours are beautiful!

Oh for a bit of that sunshine and sea air ... it's all snowy where I am. Lovely photos.

Rostrose said...

Oh, these trees of life are amazing, dearest Tammy!
And I love the impressions of your seaside walk with all the nice cats there :-)
Hugs and thank you for your wonderful comment,
Traude

handmade by amalia said...

What a fun thing to do, Tammy, and you did it very well.
Amalia
xo

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Tammy,
You look so very happy and at peace, with a perfect straight back!
Having your dear friend Melissa spending time with you is a bliss, for both I know for sure.
The Tree of Life workshop looks like a very interesting time spent and with lovely results!
Sending you hugs,
Mariette

R's Rue said...

Love.

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

Such beautiful creations and yours is so lovely! Loved your post and your photos!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...