Monday, July 3, 2017

Meals on Monday

Those of you who've known me long enough are aware that I stopped eating meat many years ago.  I think it's been about 9 years now, and about 4 years that I've been mostly vegan (traveling and eating out sometimes has its challenges).  I have lots of standard dishes I make at home and whenever I try something different, my husband likes to say I'm "experimenting".  
I'm trying to use what we've got on hand rather than running to the grocery store all the time, so over the weekend I made daal, potatoes with green beans (made from leftovers) and for my husband. I also made a cucumber greek yogurt salad.  No recipes, but I know what tastes I like so a pinch of this and a dash of that until I get close to what I'm looking for.

Something I've started doing recently is making my own tortillas, flatbread, whatever you want to call it -- every culture has their own take on it.
I halved this recipe (2 cups of flour, 1/2 tsp of salt, 3/4 cup water, 3 TBS olive oil) to get 4 portions (sometimes I add other spices like cumin, garlic powder, etc).
Roll them out and then spray your pan and cook a minute or two on each side.
So quick and easy.  I don't know why it took me so long to make my own.

This meal was obviously Indian inspired; one of my favorite cuisines.

Have a great start to the week.


10 comments:

Linda said...

That all looks so good and I like those types of dishes occasionally, but I still like to eat meat as well occasionally. I cannot do cheese very often or dairy so I stay away from those types of dishes and normally eat fresh fruits and veggies as my main "meals", little as they are. Jim, on the other hand, will not eat anything different so I cook for the majority here. ;)

Lotusblommans vardag said...

Looks yummie!
You "experiment" very well I must say.
:) I think your husband agrees.

I discovered tortilla flat breads just a while ago.
So easy to just fill with whatever you have at home.
Indian cuisine is great and often vegetarian. But so tasty!

Wishing you happy meals too you.
Sussie

Amy at love made my home said...

Delicious! Your breads look especially good!

Cheryl said...

That's why your so skinny!

Teresa Kasner said...

I'm so impressed you've made your own flatbread! Our DIL said she wanted to try making her own tortillas as she makes Mexican food a lot. I hope you have a fabulous week ahead. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Gracie Saylor said...

Yum! Thanks for sharing your recipe ideas. It has been a long time since I made flat bread like yours, but it is delicious, and fun to watch it puff up when you cook it :)

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

I often cook Indian food and daal is among our favorit Indian dishes. I've made flatbread only once but you inspired me to make some when I cook the next Indian dish.
Have a great day, Tammy!
xo Julia

She loves to crochet said...

Fresh flatbreads are wondeful. I often experiment with Indian food, I find it is great for interesting vegetarian dishes and have several daal recipes. I've been trying to re-create the food my husband grew up with to give him a taste of home for some time as his Mum was Indian. This year I finally managed to replicate it! Hope you manage to keep cool with those temps. Hx

Sam I Am...... said...

Thank you for the recipe and so simple. Sometimes I think we make our lives too complicated and getting back to 'real' food is very easy and simple and it is healthier and frees up time to do other things. I'm not creative like you though but I could try to be! LOL! I am trying to get the ingredients to make dal makhani...a friend of mine said it is their favorite dish. I know there are many kinds depending on the region? I also think the Mediterranean diet is very healthy....anything but the U.S. diet! LOL!

Jodiebodie said...

Thanks for sharing your flatbread recipe. It is hard to find flatbreads around my neighbourhood that are not full of preservatives of some kind. Your recipe sounds simple and easy using pantry staples.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...