Thursday, May 25, 2017

Crochet Lessons

The joy of crochet is its simplicity: there is only ever one stitch in work and just a few variations of the basic stitches to master, but the possibilities of using and combining those stitches together are endless.
Erika Knight
A week and a half ago, my 11 year old neighbor, Malak, asked if I could teach her to crochet.
Lesson number one:  the chain stitch.  Once she felt she understood how to do it, she would go home to practice.
And the next day, she would bring me her sample.
Lesson two:  single crochet.
I was so pleased with how quickly she was able to pick it up even though she felt her work was messy.  I told her that she can't expect to be perfect when she just started and besides that, I've tried to teach adults who never got past making chain stitches, so I think she's doing great!
On Tuesday, she announced she wanted to make a scarf but I told her we needed to take it one step at a time.  I figured a much simpler project would be more satisfying.
So lesson number three was crocheting a circle that was transformed into a flower by using the stitches she had already learned.  At the rate she's going, she'll be crocheting that scarf in no time.

Happy Thursday,

13 comments:

Maya Kuzman said...

Well, you've got yourself a talented student Tammy! She is definitely a fast learner!

Lorrie said...

You sound like a great teacher, taking things step by step! Way to go, Malak.

Tanna said...

LOVE this! Passing it along... Perfect! blessings ~ tanna

Debbie said...

Wonderful!!

Betsy said...

Wonderful! How sweet of you to teach her and what a perfect way to use her new stitches. I happy flower!
Blessings, Betsy

Blondie's Journal said...

This is so cool, Tammy. You are a great teacher and she's a quick learner. How great. I wonder if you'd ever do group lessons...so many kids out there who have creativity and need some group involvement. Okay, who am I to volunteer you?!! ;-D

Jane x

Sam I Am...... said...

She's doing wonderful! I would think the scarf would be easier than that flower! LOL! You are a great teacher.

Gracie Saylor said...

You are a wonderful blessing! I remember with great fondness and appreciation the women in my life who invited me to sit beside them to learn to crochet and knit, and I hope that I can pass their kindness forward more and more. Thanks for your encouragement.xx

Jodiebodie said...

I'm glad you showed her how to join a circle early in the piece since so many pieces begin with circles. Also that is one thing that crochet does really well and simply compared with knitting. Maximise crochet's strengths! When I was learning to crochet, circles came much later after I had done rows and rows and rows...

You are a good teacher, Tammy, and generous too.

Createology said...

The pure JOY of teaching someone who wants to learn is such a wonderful feeling. Malak is making amazing progress with her crochet. Happy Stitching with Crochet Hook and Yarn...<3

Mereknits said...

Another lover of yarn is being born with your help. Well done Tammy, I love that you are teaching this little one.

Mia said...

Lovely!!! Thank you for sharing. Congratulations from Greece!

She loves to crochet said...

Another crocheter is born, Malak must be so proud of her flower and you must be having fun teaching her too. Hope you enjoy many more lessons. Hx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...