Monday, May 8, 2017

Beach Walk

Many of us ask what can I, as one person, do, but history shows us that everything good and bad starts because somebody does something or does not do something.
Sylvia A. Earle

Yesterday I took a walk along the beach just up the road from where we live.
There's been a big outcry from the community in the past week and a half after large amounts of dead catfish and rotting seaweed washed ashore.
Sadly, there's still signs of the disaster.
The controversy continues as to why and how it happened.  So much so that the government has scheduled an open meeting for tomorrow so that citizens, who are blaming pollution as the cause, can ask questions and hopefully get some answers.
There are trash cans all along the boardwalk yet irresponsible individuals still choose to leave their plastic litter everywhere along the beach; and that, along with styrofoam, has become an environmental nightmare all over the world.
Of course, litter isn't the cause for the huge fish kill.  However, Kuwait has no natural source of potable water so it relies on costly sea water desalination to provide water to the country and, sadly, I see that water frivolously wasted every single day.  Conservation and recycling efforts in the past weren't successful, but at some point, change is going to have to happen.
For each of us, then, the challenge and opportunity is to cherish all life as the gift it is, envision it whole, seek to know it truly, and undertake - with our minds, hearts, and hands - to restore its abundance. It is said that where there's life there's hope, and so no place can inspire us with more hopefulness than that great, life-making sea - that singular, wondrous ocean covering the blue planet.

(Carl Safina)

Hoping your Monday is a good one.

14 comments:

Linda said...

Pretty blue crochet heart, Tammy.

My Monday has been a good one thus far and got my 4.8 run in before some more rain moves through.

Terra said...

Your post speaks to my heart and applies to each person on the planet. Are there conservation groups you can join in Kuwait? A favorite quote from Mother Theresa and our efforts to help, "Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love."

Betsy said...

Oh my goodness Tammy. That is just so sad. I know that we have a problem with litter here in the states too, but I don't think it's to the extent in most places yet that it is there in Kuwait. Why people can't just walk two steps to a trashcan boggles my mind. I hope they can find the cause of the sea water problems. As always, I love the hearts that you leave reminding everyone about the love in the world. You are a blessing to others. Betsy

Beca said...

It always amazes me how people can walk away and leave their trash behind. Hopefully they can find the cause and a solution soon.
xx Beca

Happy@Home said...

I hope they are able to get to the bottom of the problem with the seaweed and the catfish. How sad to see that amount of trash along the beautiful water's edge. I will never understand how people can be so lazy and careless. Your post is very thought provoking, Tammy and the quotes are most inspiring.

Laurie said...

I've noticed here that the litter of choice are cigarette butts. It is so sad that some folks don't care for our earth the way it should be cared for.

Acorn to Oak said...

I wonder if they'll figure out what happened to kill the fish.

That's interesting that Kuwait doesn't have water and relies on the sea. Wow!

Gracie Saylor said...

The last quote is especially encouraging to me, Tammy. When a problem is on-going and massive it can seem overwhelming, but each person who performs a caring act makes a positive difference. Thank you for caring and putting your energy to bettering the area around you, which encourages each of us reading this post to follow your good example! xx

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Tammy,

It is really sad how much rubbish ends up on our beaches - it is the same over here.
Only just wish people could pick up and dispose of rubbish properly.
The heart is so sweet and thanks for sharing the love
Have a great week
hugs
Carolyn

Lorrie said...

Water is such a precious resource and an absolute necessity for life. I'm glad that most people here respect the shorelines and water, but we still get debris washing up from other places in the world. Your crochet heart photo is powerful.

Tanna said...

I will NEVER understand people having so little respect for our beautiful lands and seas as to thoughtlessly and carelessly pollute it with their trash. I do believe each one of us can make a difference... just like each one of the ones who litter do. Thank you for making a difference for the good. blessings ~ tanna

Sugar Lump Studios said...

I've lived near water all my adult life, and pollution disgusts me. I don't get why people are so lazy and uncaring. I felt the same way about a trail near me where I learned to walk again. It was great for walking dogs, and they had signs please pick up the poo and even dispenser bags so you could, yet people could not be bothered. What a great world it would be if so many were not so selfish, and thought about the environment and others! :(
I love the pretty blue heart and I hope they find a solution!

Sam I Am...... said...

It is so sad that some do not understand that our resources are finite. You and your group are doing such a wonderful job educating and sharing your knowledge with others. Just remember...persistence wins out!

Jodiebodie said...

My state built a desal plant to guard against future drought because our water source is at the end of the ever system so we are at the mercy of water users upstream. The desal plant was very controversial because of concerns for the environment and the marine wildlife in particular due to the outlet of saline water that is more concentrated than regular seawater. The outlet is near a colony of seals who live there because of the abundant fish populations. In turn, the fish are there because of the seagrasses which provide food and shelter for breeding. All it takes is a poison to knock out the seagrass... I'm interested in the outcome of your local meeting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...