Monday, October 7, 2019

Blue Eyes and Skies

Today we had visitors from Spain and Sri Lanka so took them to have lunch at Radisson SAS which is where the Hashemi II is located.
It was awarded a Guinness World Record in 2002 for largest wooden dhow.
A ship that doesn't sail, but houses a ballroom and conference hall that is used for various events.
At the top is the evil eye, a symbol that has been around for at least 5,000 years.  Many cultures use it as a way to ward off evil and bad luck.  Evil eye charms are given to newborns, for housewarmings or the opening of a new business, or even when buying a new car as a symbol of good wishes and good luck.  It is said that the talisman provides protection from anyone giving evil looks or thoughts by reflecting the evil intent back to them.
Although you can find them in other colors, the traditional ones are made with blue.  Dark blue represents good karma and positive energy; light blue is for the color of the sky, which symbolizes truth and provides protection.
I was inspired recently to crochet evil eye charms as gifts for my craft group.
The interesting thing is that I made 13.
We never know how many will show up to our craft meetings and on the day I took them, besides myself, there were 13 in attendance.
Definitely meant to be.

If you are on Instagram, I'm sure you know about the annoying sponsored ads that pop up.  When I posted about the crocheted charms, an ad popped up shortly thereafter for phone covers.
And guess what they were.
Yep!  A whole bunch of evil eyes.  My cover had recently cracked so I needed a new one.
Proof that there are eyes everywhere.  :)
Sending good wishes your way!
Happy Monday!

15 comments:

Terra said...

Love this post about evil eye charms and your crazy new phone cover. I bought an evil eye bracelet when I lived in Istanbul, and more recently, at a Greek festival. So yes, the idea is rather wide spread. I was told in Turkey parents don't want you to compliment their babies as it might attract negative attention and they use the charms to protect the babies.

Kit said...

Lol!! I guess those ads DO know what we need...lol I love the case and your crocheted eyes. I remember buying one for each daughter years ago at a local store. You are so clever! 😊 Kit

crafty cat corner said...

I have a jar of small evil eyes somewhere in the workroom, I must dig them out.
Love the little ginger paws getting in the photo. lol
Briony
x

Michelle said...

I have a couple of evil eye charms that I have with me all the time.

Mariette VandenMunckhof-Vedder said...

Dearest Tammy,
Wow, what a lovely place for lunch you selected and what a magnificent wooden dhow!
Haha, your iPhone looks perfect with those Evil Eyes on it.
We got only one glass Evil Eye in our veranda, brought back by best friends from Turkey.
How special for you to have created exactly 13 Evil Eyes, they look cute too, especially with the beads added.
Sending you hugs,
Mariette

Betsy said...

Hello Tammy, I had heard of evil eyes but never knew what they were. I actually thought that they were "evil" not warding off evil itself. :-) Thanks for the education today.
That is an amazing ship and what a fun place to have lunch.
Blessings,
Betsy

Teresa Kasner said...

I am impressed with your evil eye design gifts you made.. that's a lot of them! You're so generous and thoughtful. What an amazing dhow! In fact that's one of my favorite crossword words.. lol. I'm glad you have the cooler weather coming up for you and you can do your walking again. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Derya said...

Hello tammy, Evil eye bead is also very common in our culture. I use it a lot, both at home and as an accessory. I liked the knitting charms. Good eyes always on you .. :)

Angie said...

Tammy - Of course, I have seen the evil eye symbol before, but the background and cultural nuances were new to me - thanks for sharing. Your crochet evil eyes are terrific, especially with the added beading and tassels. Ads, ads, ads! It is a little scary how much "they" know about us these days and can direct information to us. Helpful sometimes, but spooky!

Maya Kuzman said...

Such inspirational blueness of your post!

Melanie said...

How interesting! I never knew the history or true meaning behind the evil eyes. Your nail polish even matches your phone cover! :-)

Jodiebodie said...

I remember schoolmates having evil eye pendants on chains around their necks. It fascinated me.

Mereknits said...

Evil eye,well that is new to me. I remember making God's eyes as kids. Love the new phone case, it was meant to be!

Quinn said...

I've often seen the symbol but never understood how it "works" - thanks, Tammy! And now all the people who attended your craft group meeting that day will have protection. That's powerful crafting, right there :)
Please give Jingles my very best regards - always happy to see those ginger paws.

Yesteryear Embroideries said...

The ship has such pretty detail and how neat that it holds a ball room and other rooms for activities.
I love the history of the evil eye and how cute your crocheted ones are! That is funny that 13 people showed up and that you made just enough!
Love your evil eye case! LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...