Friday, May 3, 2024

Five on Friday

 Some highlights from my trip to the States from February 12th thru March 12th.

1.  First stop was Brooklyn, NY where I spent a couple of days with my youngest son and even got to see some snow.  Because of the storm (that actually wasn't as bad as predicted) my flight was delayed and JetBlue changed my airport, but it all turned out fine without too much of a delay.

2.  Grateful for my friend. Angela, who is my stopover spot when I arrive to New Orleans.  She and I worked together at a law firm in downtown New Orleans in the early 90's.  I always rent a car from the airport there and then drive to Mississippi where my mom is.  After the last time I was there (2 years ago when my mom had wrist surgery) Angela had moved to California and I was so sad to know that she would no longer be in New Orleans ... but hallelujah, she moved back just one week before I arrived.  I always stay with her before and/or after a flight depending on the timing.


  3.  My mom was released from the nursing home on February 15th and my brother and I picked her up late that morning.  Her first request after 3 months of institutional food was to go out for lunch so we went to a place called Petra (owned by a Jordanian guy)  -- Middle Eastern food and Arabic music, so I felt right at home.

4.  My eldest son flew in from Denver to spend time with us.  Unfortunately the weather was very cold, windy and rainy while he was there but we still managed to get out and about.  He's not one to do much sitting, but unfortunately, because my mom is reliant on a walker and was still unsteady on her feet at that time, she wasn't able to get out much.

5.  However, she did manage to get down the stairs (and back up again) for my 58th birthday on the 26th of February -- we went out for Japanese food and then had cupcakes back at home.

Life is not measured by time. It is measured by moments.
(Armin Houman)

Happy Friday.

11 comments:

Betsy said...

That was such a wonderful trip for you! I'm glad your Mom was up and around a little and I'm sure she's doing much, much better now too. I know you're Mom's heart was full up to see your boys. I can never wait to see our Alex and his family. FaceTime is wonderful but it's not the same as touching is it?
How fun to be able to see your long time friend each trip to and from the States. I was really glad to hear from you while you were here too.
Blessings,
Betsy

Angie said...

Tammy - I was so pleased to see your comment on my blog. I immediately came to your blog and caught up on your recent posts. I surmised that you had things going on in your life, but I could not have imagined all that you shared. So sorry to hear about your Dad, even though you weren't close in recent years - and what a blessing that your Mom's injuries were not more severe.

I think of you often, and will continue to do so, friend. Praying for an appropriate resolution to the war-torn conflicts around the world.

Delighted Hands said...

I like the last quote--life is sure made memorable in the moments! Looks like a good trip!

R's Rue said...

Such beautiful photos. Love the quote.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Happy@Home said...

I am so glad to see you blogging once again, Tammy. I just went back and read your last few posts and must say I am so sorry to hear about your mom and dad. You have been through so much and I do hope things are much better now.
It was nice that you were able to visit your sons, your friend along with your mom and brother. Your mom must have been so happy to return home after that long ordeal. I hope she is continuing to get stronger.
A belated happy birthday to you. May your 58th year bring good health and happiness.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

It sounds like you had a fabulous trip, Tammy especially since you were able to spend time with your friends and family. I am so glad to hear that your mom is doing well . I smiled when you said that she wanted some real food. Lol. I don't blame her. I also want to wish you a belated Happy Birthday. I hope you had a great day. Have a blessed evening. Hugs.

Maya Kuzman said...

Love the ending proverb, Tammy - so true!
What a fantastic time you had with family and friends - I am sure you've all created warm and lost-lasting memories!

Rostrose said...

Dear Angie, how nice to read from you again! Thanks for your comment. I was amazed to see snow in your blog - but when I read the text, everything was clear. You visited family and friends in the US - that's wonderful!
I don't know if you saw it: We were in the States too, but a little later than you - from March 21st to April 6th - first in San Francisco, then a road trip to Salt Lake City and finally in NYC, but unfortunately we didn't make it to Brooklyn because the weather was so terrible on two days during our stay (cold and heavy rain). Therefore only Manhattan.
How nice that you got to see both your younger and older sons and also spend time with your mother. These are precious days. And it's also great that your friend Angela is your safe haven again in New Orleans.
I wish you the very best for your new year - belated birthday congratulations and good health!
All the best, Traude
https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2024/05/weltreise-2024-3-station-melbourne.html

PS: Regarding walking shoes: What is your main reason for boycotting many brands? Poor sustainability of materials? Bad working conditions in your production facilities? I haven't found anything negative about "my shoe brand"... but I also have to admit that I didn't look too hard. With my super sensitive feet, I can't afford to be too picky. If I find shoes somewhere that my feet like, I'm happy and I'll stick with the brand as long as I can. But I searched for sustainable shoe brands for you - this is the answer: "Some examples of sustainable shoe brands are Veja, Allbirds and Toms. These brands value transparency in their supply chain and often use recycled materials or sustainably produced raw materials. If you're looking for shoes that are made in a more environmentally friendly way, these brands could be a good option for you." :-)

Mini said...

It must be have brought you some happiness to meet family and friends after such tough times.
Hope the boys are doing good.

Susan said...

May 16, 2024
Hi Tammy....I see you had a visit to the USA. So glad to know you had a great time.
Was SO HAPPY to see your visit and comment on my blog recently. I think of you often, especially when I see your pink and white "comforter" on a bed in one of my dollhouses. So one of your sons is in Brooklyn and one in Denver! Glad you visited them when you were Stateside. You must miss both of them very much. Take care, Tammy, and please stop by any time. Sincerely, Susan

Quinn said...

Hi Tammy - thank you for your recent comment on Comptonia. This weekend I'm taking a breath between phases of repair, and am starting to at least try to catch up with blog-pals. What a great trip and visits you had, even if the US weather was not perfect. I smiled to think of you travelling all the way to Mississippi for Middle Eastern food :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...